What You Will Find Here
This page contains some simple information about the way I handle matters of privacy and confidentiality, especially when it comes to the way I communicate with clients (and potential clients) outside of the office. This is not a comprehensive list of policies though, so if you have a particular question or concern I would be glad to help. Just click here to get in touch and we can discuss it together.
- E-Mail: E-mail can be convenient, especially for simple inquiries, but there are some things you should know. While e-mail is easy, and is generally safe, privacy cannot be guaranteed. I use a secure e-mail provider with encrypted e-mail. My e-mail provider also has a legal agreement with the Center for Counseling, Health and Wellness (where I work) that prevents them from reading e-mails I send or receive. Other e-mail providers (such as the free versions of Gmail, Outlook, and Yahoo) may not use reliable encryption and may automatically scan the messages you send and receive (mostly to figure out better ways to advertise to you). There are other ways that your messages might be read by someone you didn't expect, such as having your e-mail account hacked, not logging out properly when using e-mail in a public place, or due to law enforcement investigations you may not be aware of. If you have something especially private or sensitive that you want to discuss it may be better to call or simply schedule a session. If privacy and confidentiality are a concern please weigh your options carefully.
- Social Media: I make use of a Facebook page and other social media resources. These social media pages are meant to help me spread news and general information with greater ease and in real time. But because of the social nature of these resources it is impossible to guarantee any sort of privacy or confidentiality if you choose to interact with me through social media. Even something as simple as "liking" a page or post or following me on Facebook is something that can possibly be seen by others and compromise your privacy. It is also completely unnecessary for you to "like" me or my page, review me using Facebook or other review sites, "follow" me, or "subscribe" to me, or interact with me through social media in any other way. I will never ask for you to do any of these things.
- Private Messages: Even though they are sometimes called "private messages," whenever you send me a personal message to me through Facebook or other social media platform it is important to understand that confidentiality and privacy cannot be guaranteed. Social media platforms routinely scan such messages (usually with the goal of better marketing). See the "e-mail" section above to see how else people might view our communications without us knowing. Such messaging may be a simple way to gather general information or to ask general questions, but if privacy and confidentiality is a concern for you than a phone call may be the most effective way to get in touch (call: 859-448-7379).
Over The Phone
- Phone Calls: I do screen my calls. This means it is unlikely I will pick up the phone when you call for the first time, so just leave a simple voicemail message that lets me know who you are and when it would be best for me to call you back and I will get in touch with you. I also cannot pick up my phone if I am in session or in other situations that may violate your privacy of the privacy of others.
- Voice Mail: My voice mail box is password protected, as well as my phone. This makes it more difficult for unauthorized people from gaining access to those voice mail messages. But as with all communication methods, voice mails are not completely within my control and so privacy and confidentiality cannot be fully guaranteed.
- Text Messages: Text messages can be sent to my business phone line. Though my phone is password protected I still cannot fully guarantee the confidentiality and privacy of those communications.
When you schedule a session we will review all my policies and privacy and confidentiality in full. If you have any questions or concerns before then please send me a message. A phone call is the most private and secure method of contact.